Dear Mikayla Rose,
Today you turn seven. I have been your mom for 2823 days, yet it feels like a few seconds. I know, what a cliche. That might be true, but you won’t believe how it is breaking my heart that you are growing faster than what I can keep up with. I want you to be my baby forever, but at the same time I am so excited about all the amazing things you will do in this life.
I barely blinked and you were born. I looked down for a second and you could walk. I turned away for a minute and you could talk. I went away for a day to give birth to your brother and all traces of being a baby and a toddler disappeared from your face. I got caught up in life and you finished play school. Holy shit… you are going to Grade 1 in a few days time – with a school uniform, stationary, the works. When did we get here, and why did I arrive so late?
You take my breath away, you challenge me and add to my chaos. You are also my anchor and my calm in the storm… you are my world my angel. There are so many things I love about you. To me you are the most interesting, most beautiful, smartest and funniest girl in the world. These seven things, on your seventh birthday, are by far the things I love most about you…
1. You are mine. I am part of you and you are part of me. Isn’t that incredible? My eyes are your eyes… your nose is a combination of your dad’s and mine. You know what my heartbeat sounds like from the inside.You’re mine. I cannot believe that you, this precious source of joy is all mine. You are my daughter, my light, my life.
2. My darling… you have magic in your soul, pure magic. I can see it in your eyes, can you see it? That electric spark, that look that seems like you have lived a thousand lives and have a deeper comprehension of things than we could ever understand. When I look into your eyes, I see possibilities – anything could happen.
3. You are wild, free and limitless. Nothing and no-one can contain you. You are fearless, my darling. You can stand your ground, even when you are standing all alone, like no one else I know.
4. You are funny. Even when I’m mad or upset, you can make me laugh. I love your laugh too. It’s contagious, and it reminds me to not take life — or myself — so seriously all the time
5. You showed me true, unconditional love. You are still a little girl, you believe that I hung the moon. You take my word solely because it is mine. You still come to my defense when the world tells me I’m not good enough, important enough or smart enough. You believe in me — and I hope you always will.
6. You are the most unique beauty. I honestly have never met anyone more beautiful than you. You have the kind of face (and attitude that goes with it) that stops strangers in their tracks, and takes my breath away.
7. You are strong and brave. The past year has been so challenging for you. We moved twice, you experienced your first deep loss and you changed schools. You struggled a little, but you came out on top stronger than ever before. You have taken each challenge head on – I admire you for that.
Happy birthday my wildling, for you I would move mountains.
***Can I ask that you show Mikayla some love and post her a little birthday message in the comment section below?***