We decided to throw Mikayla and Knox a joint birthday party – it just made the most sense seeing as Knox’s birthday is in December, then it is Christmas, New Years, Mikayla’s birthday beginning January and then school starts. It is a crazy time of the year and I have been especially busy… luckily the girls from Pretty Different Events helped me out, and they did a spectacular job!
To be honest… the day started off as a bit of a disaster. You might have noticed that I am
a little very OCD and this is especially so when it comes to routine and planning. I had the whole day planned and was just settling in for a quick nap when I heard the first few raindrops starting to fall… and then the wind, and then my phone started ringing. Normally I would say that this is the best sound in the world, but not on the day that we are throwing a birthday party… in the park… with no cover. We had to redirect the party to my house (every year I swear to never do this to myself again, alas), and we had about an hour and a half to find some sort of entertainment (a week before Christmas – hahaha!), clean the house spotless (enough), set up for the party, bath the kids and get them ready and notify all of the guests. It was chaotic, but hiring an events company was probably the best thing I ever did do. They sorted everything out and made me feel at ease – it all came together perfectly. I won’t lie, at first I was worried about the cost of it all, but they offer some really rad packages to choose from and you get so much out of it! I always spend way too much, so this was a great way to stick within the budget as well.
Anyway, back to the party, which actually turned out to be freaking awesome! The only entertainment available was a ginormous mushroom jumping castle – it was hilarious! At least it offered some cover from the rain – a huge thank you to Black Ball for helping us out!
As a family, we are a little bit Star Wars obsessed, I mean…
- Our son’s middle name is Vader
- The family stickers on our car consist out of Han Solo (Cole), a lady Storm Trooper (me), a little Princess Leia (Mikayla) and our cats are droids – we still need to add Knox and Bam!
- The first books we ever read to the kids were Darth Vader And Son and Goodnight Darth Vader
- We have had a Star Wars movie marathon once a year for the past 7-years, a traditional that will carry on for eons to come…
- Our house is covered in Star Wars geekery… Darth Vader alarm clocks, RTD2 key rings, Star Wars calendars, light sabers… you name it –
… so it was only natural to do a Star Wars themed birthday party!
How amazing is this cake? Kelsey’s Confectionaries did an amazing job – I just really should not have ordered such a big cake! This cake was diary-free and tasted absolutely amazing.
Jou Ma Se Bakkery (what a rad name??) did all our platters, can you believe I got these two massive ones as well as the personalized brownies for only R400?
I had a Princess Leia inspired dress made by Bokka Couture – Mikayla just loves princess dresses… wait till she sees the dress Bokka has in store for her for the actual birthday! Knox’s Darth Vader baby grow was made by my dear friend Lindsay who runs Love Made Me – she is so talented! Knox refused to wear the cape or shoes… oh well, the force wants what the force wants I suppose.
Also, I just had to share these amazing wooden blocks that I had custom-made by a dear friend… you have to go see the amazing work she is doing over on Yay Kids Products – perfect gifts!
Thank you to everyone who came and made this party a huge success, even when I thought it might fail. Luckily I sneakily drank champagne out the bottle behind my fridge door – so the nerves did not show too much!
• Decor/Planning/Set-up – Pretty Different events
• The Birthday Cake – Kelsey’s Confectionaries
Facebook | 083 369 1633
• Food Platters & Personalized Brownies – Jou Ma Se Bakkery
• Mikayla’s Princess Leia Dress – Bokka Couture/Pretty Pink
• Knox’s Darth Vader Babygrow – Love Made Me
• Jumping Castle – Black Ball
Website | 021 7011 275
What do you think of the party? Do you throw joint birthday parties for your kids?