There is one thing that my family and I make a plan to attend every single year come hell or high water, and that is Disney on Ice. It has become a bit of a tradition since the first time we went 3-years ago, and we are completely blown away every single time.
What always amazes me about the show is how the entire family enjoys it, and is completely absorbed in the wide-eyed wonder for which Disney is renowned. From dad, to mom, to the smallest of the little ones! Cole always loves the Cars characters (they are done so well!), while I cry every single time they do a princess scene. The kids… well the kids just love it ALL! I have never had to worry about them sitting still for the whole two hours as they are completely engrossed by all their favorite characters coming to life right in front of them – even Knox, as little as he is, sits still until the curtains close. I have never been to Disney World and I will probably never have that opportunity, but going to Disney on Ice is like having a part of Disney World come to you… It really is an event not to be missed and everyone should experience it at least once. It is for that very reason that I will be giving away two sets of family tickets for Johannesburg AND Cape Town! See end of article for details.
This year, Disney On Ice returns to South Africa for a sixth time. Presented by Feld Entertainment Inc and leading local promoter, Showtime Management – The Wonderful World of Disney On Ice! opens on Friday, 30 June 2017 at the Ticketpro Dome, Johannesburg and runs until Sunday, 09 July 2017. The production then moves to Durban’s ICC Arena from Thursday, 13 July to Sunday, 16 July and then to GrandWest, Cape Town from Wednesday, 19 July to Sunday, 23 July 2017.
“Join Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy as they walk down memory lane and reawaken Disney moments that span generations. Dive deep into the East Australian Current with your favorite school of fish from Disney•Pixar’s Finding Dory when Dory, Nemo and Marlin set off on an adventure to discover the true meaning of family. Travel to the wintry world of Arendelle with Anna and Elsa and the hilarious snowman Olaf from Disney’s Frozen as they learn how powerful a love between sisters can be. Reach for your dreams with Rapunzel, as her determination illuminates her inner strength. Experience the beauty of Walt Disney’s first animated feature film, as Snow White creates her own happily ever after with the help of seven, new friends. Buzz and Woody will have you jumping out of your seat in a foot-stomping hoedown; Simba, Timon and Pumbaa prowl the Pride Lands of Africa; Jasmine, Aladdin and Genie show how friendship is fearless; and your favorite Disney Princesses take to the ice to showcase the courage and determination that led them to achieve their dreams.
For the past six years South African audiences have been thrilled by the excitement of the various Disney On Ice shows. “Each year, the show is a completely different production and, based on the audience appreciation, we believe Disney On Ice is fast becoming a regular annual event on the South African winter events calendar,” says Tony Feldman from Showtime Management. “We are pleased to extend the 2017 Disney On Ice SA tour to share the magic of Disney On Ice in Durban for the first time.” – Showtime Management
Seeing as we are regular attendees, I thought I would give some tips on how to maximize your Disney On Ice experience…
1. Tickets are quite pricey (but so worth it!), so make use of their family package deals in order to get a discount.
The Wonderful World of Disney On Ice offers families a special discounted saving of R30 per ticket valid for bookings of four, five and six tickets in specific priced ticket categories across all shows so that families can enjoy incredible savings of R120 on a purchase of four tickets, R150 on five tickets and R180 on six tickets.
Family packages at the Ticketpro Dome are discounted on the R275 and R375 weekend price categories and weekend discounts are valid on tickets in the R375 and R475 categories. Durban families enjoy the added benefit of a R30 discount per ticket across three price categories, valid on R250, R350 and R400 weekday price categories while weekend discounts are available across the R300, R400 and R450 price categories. Cape Town families can enjoy family packages at GrandWest available weekdays on the R200 and R300 price categories while weekend tickets are valid on the R250 and R350 categories. You also get a discount if you are an Edgars Clubcard holder.
2. Book early to get the best seats!
The sooner you book, the better choice of seats you’ll get. Ticket pricing varies, with front row seats obviously sold at a higher rate. The best place to sit is right in front of the stage – even if it is higher up. When you are on the sides it is easier to miss some of the back drop decor, special effects and props. That being said – they really do make an effort to include everyone. Click here to book your seats now.
3. Let the kids dress up!
Or dress yourself up – I’m not judging! Make the day even more memorable by letting your kids wear their favorite princess costume or Disney outfit. Put on a pair of Mickey Mouse ears and play around with some glow in the dark face paint. (Just don’t be inconsiderate and wear big/tall hats, people behind you want to see the show too!)
4. Keep warm.
You’d think that having the word “Ice” in the title of the show would give people a clue. Every year I see little babes shivering and being miserable because they are cold. You don’t have to gear up for the North Pole, but take a nice and thick warm jacket with you, or even a little blanket – it gets pretty chilly!
5. Bring Cash – Or Prepare Yourself
Dimmed and dramatic lighting displays, and even “fire” add excitement and show stopping effects to a Disney On Ice show. To add to the fun (and sales), Disney has plenty of amazing light-up electronic toys, candy and other goodies for sale. Your kids will beg, barter, cry and probably throw the biggest tantrum you have ever witnessed so that you would buy them some sort of glowing, whirling and singing toy. Oh, your child doesn’t throw tantrums? Neither did mine… until she saw a light-up princess Elsa crown that came with a box of popcorn for R145! If you don’t mind handing out big bucks for the toys, go for it! But if you’d like your children to get in on the glowing amusement without spending tons of cash, bring your own glow in the dark necklaces, bracelets or toys.
6. Manage Their Expectations
If your children have their hearts set on seeing a specific character that may not make an appearance in the show, be sure to give a word of warning before heading to Disney On Ice with kids.
This year I am giving two families the chance to each win a set of four tickets – here are the prize details:
- One set of family tickets (4 tickets for the prizewinner – mom, dad, 2 children) for the performance at TicketPro Dome on Friday, 30 June 2017 at 6pm
- One set of family tickets (4 tickets for the prizewinner – mom, dad, 2 children) at Grand Arena, GrandWest on Wednesday, 19 July 2016 at 6pm
How To Enter:
- Answer the following question in the comment section below: What object does the Little Mermaid, Ariel, call a “dinglehopper”? Please also tell us wether you would like to win tickets to the JHB or Cape Town show (compulsory)
- Share this post on social media using the hashtag #CaffeineandFairydust – it is important to use the hashtag so that we can track your entry (compulsory)
- Like the Facebook post pinned to the top of the Caffeine and Fairydust Facebook page about this competition and tag a minimum of two mom-friends that will appreciate winning a ticket! (compulsory)
4. Follow Caffeine and Fairydust on Instagram
5. Follow Caffeine and Fairydust on Twitter and Tweet something along the lines of:
” I want to go watch @DisneyOnIce with @CaffeineandF – Win tickets here --> https://goo.gl/kyrO86 “
COMPETITION ENDS 2 June 2017
Terms and conditions:
1. Tickets are only valid for the specified date and performance time and may not be upgraded, exchanged for cash or for an alternate performance.
2. The prize comprises of four show tickets per prizewinner (mom, dad, 2 children or 1 adult and 3 children)
3. Please note that owing to safety regulations each person attending a performance, irrespective of age must have a ticket.
4. Tickets will be available for collection from the BOX OFFICE/COMPUTICKET at the venue from one hour prior to performance time, on the date of the performance.
5. No-shows will not receive replacement tickets.
6. By entering this competition the participant agrees to the terms and conditions.
Sponsored by Disney on Ice 2017